Utility Assistance for Renters

If you rent and are behind on your TEP bills, federal funding is now available to pay these bills.

The Arizona Department of Economic Security offers utility assistance to renters statewide who have been impacted by the pandemic. To qualify, your household income must be less than or equal to 80 percent of the Area Median Income, which is $42,950 for a single person or $61,350 for a family of four in Pima County.

Household Size Annual Household Income
1 $42,950
2 $49,100
3 $55,250
4 $61,350
5 $66,300
6 $71,200
7 $76,100
8 $81,000

Frequently Asked Questions

Can you tell me more about the program?

$36 million in federal funding is available to help renters who are behind on their utility bills. The Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) in partnership with TEP and other utilities in the state are distributing this funding. Funding would help eligible renters pay their overdue utility bills.

Eligible customers would receive funding as a lump sum amount that would be applied to their utility account. Customers need to complete a brief survey to find out if they are eligible. DES will verify your eligibility, based on your household income and previous assistance received.

We can help you apply. The application process takes five (5) minutes or less.

Who qualifies for this utility bill payment funding?

Under program guidelines, to qualify, you must:

  • Be a renter
  • Have a household income less than or equal to 80 percent of the Area Median Income. (In Pima County, that’s $38,300 for a single person or $54,700 for a family of four.)
  • Have been impacted by COVID-19
  • Be behind on paying your utility bills
  • Have the utility account in your name
  • Be enrolled in TEP's Lifeline program for low-income customers

What is meant by being directly or indirectly “impacted” by COVID-19?

The renter must be able to share that their household was affected through the course of the pandemic. Eligibility also includes any of the following federal criteria. The renter has a risk of homelessness, housing instability, or unsafe living conditions demonstrated by the following:

  • Eviction notice
  • Utility shutoff notice
  • Past due rent notice
  • Past due utility notice
  • Any other evidence of unsafe or unhealthy living conditions or housing instability

What is the household income eligibility?

The Area Median Income requirement is based on the number of people living in your household and the county in which you live. Please refer to the table above to see if you meet eligibility requirements.

How can I find out if I qualify?

Information on receiving bill payment assistance to come shortly.

Who determines my eligibility?

DES will review your information and verify your eligibility, based on the criteria for receiving funding.

How much will I receive if I qualify?

The amount of funding you receive depends on the hardships you’ve experienced, the number of people in your household and previous assistance received.  DES will determine the amount.

How will I be notified if I qualify for funding?

If you qualify for funding, you will receive a confirmation letter from TEP. If you do not qualify for funding and have not made arrangements with Customer Care to pay your bill, you may receive a call from one of our representatives to provide you with some payment options.  If you are ineligible and your circumstances change, you may submit a new application.