Request a Donation
Tucson Electric Power is dedicated to improving the community where we live, work and play through the strategic support of community partners that have the greatest impact on our areas of focus: community assistance, education and the environment.
The majority of our corporate giving is made to organizations whose work aligns with these priority areas. We typically give to our established community partners where TEP initiates the donation or to organizations supported by our employee volunteers. We encourage nonprofit groups to work together to stretch limited resources and avoid duplication of services.
All contributions come from corporate resources, not customers' rates.
Our Key Focus Areas
In order to be eligible for funding, a donation request should address a need in one of the following areas where TEP directs its contributions quarterly:
Community Assistance – 1st and 4th Quarters
January/February/March and October/ November/December
Programs and services for limited-income families and other vulnerable communities. We support nonprofit groups focused on food security, homelessness, housing stability, domestic violence, poverty, foster care, child abuse prevention/treatment and other critical issues.
Environmental Protection – 2nd Quarter
Local or statewide programs and projects that protect and preserve our air, land and water as well as wildlife and their habitat.
Education – 3rd Quarter
Activities that support achievement for students from pre-K through 12th-grade, including but not limited to classroom resources and field trips, literacy, teacher assistance, and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) programs that encourage critical thinking skills. Successful funding requests must tie directly to core school curriculum. We also consider funding for secondary education, scholarships and activities that promote diverse workforce development. Individual schools are not eligible to apply.
Racial and Social Equity
Considered upon request
Programs, services and efforts that promote a more inclusive community and embrace diversity, equity and inclusion.
Types of Contributions
TEP invests in our community through several types of assistance:
- Financial contributions to support nonprofit programs, services or special events. Requests for contributions may made throughout the year, preferably during the funding quarter appropriate for the project or program (see focus area list above).
- In-kind donations include non-monetary valuable goods such as computer equipment, office furniture, printing of materials, meeting/event space or use of operational equipment, if available.
- Corporate memberships are requests for TEP’s annual corporate membership with community organizations, such as chambers of commerce, industry and professional associations and business groups, as appropriate.
- Employee volunteer projects are employee-driven initiatives to support and assist charities with their community events, fundraisers and program services. These requests are typically coordinated by TEP's Community Action Team (CAT) employee volunteers, and require that a TEP employee be affiliated with the request and willing to be engaged with the requested activity.
- Sponsorships support events and activities that are mutually beneficial to TEP and the requesting organization and may include the promotion of goods, products or services. The organization promoting the sponsorship is responsible for providing TEP with a record of the value received through any sponsorship for tax purposes.
- Board Participation by TEP employees allows them to share their professional expertise and leadership skills to benefit nonprofit organizations. Employee service on various boards and committees may occur through their own personal involvement with an organization, or nonprofits may request that TEP invite an employee with certain expertise to serve on their board. Employee participation on boards does not guarantee a financial contribution from TEP.
Rather than restricting requests to specific periods, TEP will consider donation requests submitted throughout the year. Eligible nonprofit organizations that meet our Corporate Giving Guidelines and that have not already been invited by TEP to request funding may submit an application for funding up to $5,000 once per calendar year. Please understand that we receive many more requests than we are able to fund annually.
TEP allows up to 15 percent of our contributions to be used for administrative costs. The majority of any contribution from TEP must be dedicated to direct program services, including personnel.
Requests that closely align with our three areas of giving and quarterly focus areas are most likely to receive funding. Preference will be given to organizations with a minimum of three years of audited financial statements. Nonprofit groups that TEP is unable to fund are encouraged to participate in Social Venture Partners and the Alliance for Arizona Nonprofits/Arizona Gives Day, each of which is supported by TEP contributions.
Corporate Giving Guidelines
Eligible organizations must:
- Operate within TEP’s service territory or in communities where our company’s facilities are located
- Be designated as a nonprofit organization by the IRS with a current EIN number and compliant with all state and federal regulations
- Devote less than 10 percent of its budget to services outside of TEP’s service territory
TEP does not fund:
- Pass-through proposals where the recipient re-grants donated funds to another organization, unless the request is a collaborative proposal
- Religious, fraternal, social or recreational activities
- Political or partisan organizations or candidates
- Individual K-12 grade schools
- Charities focused on combatting a single disease or medical condition, unless they are championed by our Community Action Team’s employee volunteers
- Adult sports and recreation
- Entertainment and recreation events
Make a Request
After thoroughly reading the requirements above, please log in below or register as a new user. You will be asked to select the type of request (financial, in-kind, volunteer support, sponsorship, membership, etc.)