Tucson Electric Power will honor the significant economic influence of nonprofit businesses in our community during the virtual Tucson Metro Chamber’s Copper Cactus Awards on Oct. 17.
As major assistance providers in Southern Arizona, nonprofit organizations employ many workers and support other local businesses. This year in particular, COVID-19 has drastically affected these agencies.
Six organizations are finalists for the TEP Social Impact awards – a category that TEP sponsors to honor the importance of these groups in our region, both as employers and advocates.
“This is a year unlike any other, and the efforts of nonprofits to meet the increased needs of our community have been outstanding,” said Joe Salkowski, Senior Director of Communications and Public Affairs for TEP and a chamber board member. “We salute these nonprofits and others in our community for their response in these difficult times.”
The three finalists for organizations with revenue up to $2 million:
- Arizona State University Office of Community Health, and Resiliency: The office heads up the “Thrive in the 05” initiative to support the neighborhoods in the 85705 zip code in Tucson.
- Community Investment Corporation: The group provides loans, financing and other support to local small businesses and nonprofits that serve a public purpose.
- Southern Arizona Research, Science and Engineering Foundation (SARSEF): The organization supports education programs for students and teachers, including the regional science fair.
The three finalists for organizations with revenue between $2 million and $5 million:
- Boys & Girls Club of Tucson: The club has run youth development programs and has provided care for children since 1963.
- Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl: The nonprofit provides positive experiences for athletes, youth and the local community that culminate with its signature college football game.
- Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona: The foundation works to advance the economic prosperity for women and the region through grants and other efforts.
Because of social distancing recommendations, the awards ceremony will be shown online with video presentations to the winners. Register and learn more.