As the days grow chillier, energy use will change at your workplace. Heated air can easily escape your business and drive up costs.

But there are easy ways to insulate your building from the elements to reduce your energy bill. Follow these five steps from our TEP energy efficiency experts.

“Sometimes, taking little steps can add up to big savings,” said Edith Garcia, a TEP Program Manager who specializes in energy efficiency.

1. Sweeps and Strips

Even as customers and employees come in and out, a door sweep can help keep your heat – and energy – inside. A gap as tiny as 1/8-inch around your doors can let in as much air as a small window open a few inches.

Attaching door sweeps to the bottom of exterior doors provides a tight seal against drafts and keeps out moisture, dust and pests.

Another way to prevent drafts is to install weather-stripping around doors and windows. To determine if you need new weather-stripping, close a window or door on a piece of paper. If the paper can be moved easily, you should add weather-stripping.

2. Air Sealing

Even the tiniest cracks in outside walls can let in cold air and allow heat to escape.

For a few dollars, add foam sealing gaskets to electrical outlets, switches and plumbing gaps on outside walls to reduce heat loss.

3. Insulation

Adding extra insulation to the walls and ceiling will help maintain a comfortable temperature for less energy.

Before making any changes, inspect current insulation. If just 5 percent of the ceiling lacks proper insulation, it can lose as much heat as the remaining 95 percent of the ceiling.

4. Window Coverings

The use of plastic shrink-to-fit plastic window coverings for select windows can prevent cold, uncomfortable drafts and heat loss. They also help reduce moisture buildup on the window due to condensation.

Also, choosing the correct window treatments, such as shades and draperies, can help save energy. Learn more about the different types of window treatments.

TEP offers rebates on energy-efficient shade screens, as well as other measures, for qualified businesses. See a list of rebates and find more information on the Commercial Energy Solutions program.

5. Filters and Tune-ups

ENERGY STAR® recommends changing your air filter on a regular basis, as well as getting regular tune-ups for optimal use.

Installing a new furnace filter improves indoor air quality and helps your HVAC system work more efficiently. It also extends the life of your system and reduces repairs and maintenance.

If you are ready for a new or upgraded HVAC, TEP offers rebates on select energy-efficient systems. Check our Commercial Energy Solutions website for details.

Find more ways your business can save energy this winter.

This content was last updated on the date shown above. More recent information might be available elsewhere on